Forum Replies Created
- January 19, 2021 at 9:16 pm
- in reply to: I saw the word ”D-value”, what does it mean?
The D-Value is the largest overall length of the helicopter when its rotors are turning, measured from the tip of the rotor blade when it is aligned along the longitudinal axis of the helicopter, to the end of the helicopter’s tail.
Hi Guy. The letter of intent (LOI) is usually the first stage of the construction process. The purpose of the LOI is to set out the parties’ intentions to enter into the YCA and also to document some of the key terms, without a formal legal commitment.
- December 17, 2020 at 9:32 pm
- in reply to: What is a L.O.I. and why is it important?
I hope this is what you were looking for!
Hi Guy. That is an interesting question. The Jones Act is a federal negligence statute that affords a remedy to injured crewmembers to sue their employer for money damages. I hope this helps you.
- December 17, 2020 at 9:31 pm
- in reply to: What is the Jones Act?
Hi Guy. That really depends on the size of the yacht.
- December 16, 2020 at 10:18 pm
- in reply to: How many crew members are necessary onboard a yacht?
A yacht of 50 meters needs between 10 to 12 crew onboard.
A yacht of 60 meters needs between 15 to 18 crew on board.
A yacht of 80 meters needs between 30 to 40 crew on board.
And a 100 meter+ yacht needs 50 crew or more.
Should an owner have limited time to use his yacht himself, he is able to maximize the rest of the months, keeping the yacht busy and offsetting costs. Or by proving that the yacht is operating commercially, the owner can enjoy VAT relief on some goods and services while they are in various countries. Be this on buying a new piece of equipment for the yacht or on a shipyard period.
- December 16, 2020 at 9:26 pm
- in reply to: Why should you put your yacht for charter?
Hi Guy. No that is not allowed. 12 persons is the maximum guest allowed onboard under the Large Yacht Code.
- December 16, 2020 at 9:20 pm
- in reply to: Can more than 12 people charter a yacht?
That really depends on the type of owner. Personally, I would take an explorer yacht somewhere to a remote place.
- December 16, 2020 at 9:17 pm
- in reply to: What is the best charter destination?
Archimedes’ principle must be the most basic of all naval architecture principles. It states that “the upward buoyant force that is exerted on a body immersed in a fluid, whether fully or partially submerged, is equal to the weight of the fluid that the body displaces”
- December 12, 2020 at 4:26 pm
- in reply to: Why do Naval Architects always talk about Archimedes?
That depends on the type of yacht you have. The most frequently used system for motor yachts is a twin-propeller setup. This is for ships up to 35 to 40 knots.
- December 12, 2020 at 4:22 pm
- in reply to: What is the best propulsion system for my yacht?
For displacement yachts, an alternative for the twin-propeller and rudder setup, is a so-called podded propulsion system, or a rudder propeller. These units are primarily aimed at displacement yachts up to app. 15-16 knots maximum speed.
For high speeds, say above 30-35 knots, a waterjet propulsion system is the most common choice.
The best option is to move some weight to decrease the trim. If that is not possible you can place put some devices on your boat. A few examples are: trim flaps, trim wedge, or an interceptor.
- December 12, 2020 at 3:06 pm
- in reply to: Help needed.. My boat has alot of trim. How can I fix this?
The naval architect deals with all aspects of the design; hull design, stability, hydrostatics, hydrodynamics, aesthetics, strength, stiffness, seaworthiness, safety, and classification.
- December 12, 2020 at 2:47 pm
- in reply to: Which topics are involved in Naval Architecture?
There are a lot of devices available to reduce the roll motions of a yacht.
- December 12, 2020 at 2:39 pm
- in reply to: How can I increase the comfort onboard my yacht?
How long is your yacht?
Hi Guy. The Froude Number is calculated using the following formula:
- December 12, 2020 at 2:34 pm
- in reply to: How do I calculate the Froude Number (FN) of a ship?
v = the speed in m/s
g = 9.81 m/s^2
l = the length of the ship
My favourite yacht designers are Espen Oeino and Philippe Starck. They both created some unique floating pieces of art.
- December 9, 2020 at 4:45 pm
- in reply to: What is your favourite exterior designer? And why?
I think that was Jon Bannenberg.
- December 9, 2020 at 4:43 pm
- in reply to: Who do you think is the ‘Godfather’ of yacht design?